Thursday, April 14, 2011

Reason Number 4- Teacher Layoffs

As the state faces budget crisis it seems it's the local law enforcement and teachers who are taking the hit. I'm not really sure how less teachers teaching our students and less law enforcement on the streets is supposed to help property tax values, thus helping the budget....  but then, I'm not the one working on the budget.  What I do know is, today, as one local school district eliminates 550 teachers I am very glad that I have chosen to home school my kids.  I absolutely believe that the reduction of staff at the school level, the teacher level will have a negative impact on these kids.  I have several friends who are teachers and my kids were also once in public school, and what I believe is that the teachers (at least here around my house) are very dedicated, do whatever they can without really being given everything they need to teach the kids.  Many of the teachers work long hours and supply extra things for their classroom to make up where the district falls short.  These teachers are paid very meager salaries and deal with a whole lot.  I'll never understand why teachers get such a short end on the stick when they personally deal with our very most important "possessions"- our children.

To all of the local public school teachers- this is one homeschool mom who is praying for you and your fellow educators.  It is just plain wrong that we're taking money out of education in this state.

Read an article about this topic here:
ABC 13
Houston Chronicle

1 comment: